We all know of multi purpose items like salt, vinegar and baking soda that we should keep a stockpile of for when the SHTF. But Vicks VapoRub?
But I’ve never heard of this one until now – Vicks VapoRub.
Yep, you heard me right.
Honestly it’s no real surprise given that it’s mostly petroleum jelly which has many well known survival uses, but it’s quite interesting how many preppers overlook the other benefits that this little handy first aid ointment brings to the table.
I think we all have had our mothers rub Vicks on us at one point or another during our childhood.
And this stuff works wonders for colds and congestion, but it’s got a lot of different (and some surprising) uses.
11 Reasons To Stockpile Vicks VapoRub
1. Headache Relief – Rub on your temples to relieve a headache. Menthol, one of the main ingredients of Vicks VapoRub, helps lower blood pressure in your head and,
as a result, relieves the pain. Just rub a little on your forehead. It is also good for sinus headaches. Simply rub on your temples as well as your throat.
2. Repel Mosquitoes – Rub a small dab on your neck, arms, and legs and mosquitoes will leave you alone. Or if you are camping, place an opened container of Vicks on a table or surface cover a larger area.
3. Heal cuts and splinters – This will cut the healing time and prevent possible infection.
4. Relieves Earache Pain – This does NOT clear the infection causing the pain but it does help relieve the pain from the earache.
5. Heals Athletes Foot – Rub on your feet 2 times a day to treat athletes foot.
6. Treats Eczema Inflammation – Reduce the inflammation and itchiness of eczema by applying some Vicks on the affected area.
7. Moisturizer – Rub on skin as a moisturizer for rough, dry skin, including your heels.
8. Treat Your Bruises – Rub a little mixed with salt on a fresh bruise for it to go away quicker.
9. Sore Muscle Reliever – Massages with this ointment will help you alleviate your sore muscles. After the massage,
cover the sore muscle with a warm and dry towel until the pain lowers. Repeat this up to 3 times a day.’
10. Cough Suppressant – Rub on the bottom of your feet and cover with a pair of socks. This will help ease coughing fits.
11.Treat Nail Fungus – Because Vicks has anti- fungal properties, it will actually help eliminate nail fungus.
I could go on and on, but you get it and better yet, here’s a video with those plus many more uses for Vicks.
As you can see, Vicks VapoRub is a great item to have in your stockpile.
It’s small and lightweight enough to throw in a BOB as well.
And by the way, store brands are cheaper and will work just as good as Vicks VapoRub does, but make sure it has the same ingredients in it.